Image Map

November 07, 2013

middle-earth challenge - days 1 to 7

Yeah, I'm a little late with this.  But I do have a reputation to keep up.
30 Day Middle-Earth Challenge at Lianna Taimenlore & The Splendor Falls on Castle Walls
Day 1, being my favourite book.  In Tolkiens's unsurpassed Middle-earth legendarium, I've had the pleasure of reading The Lord of the Rings (a good three or four years ago), The Hobbit (last year), and The Silmarillion (this summer's literary conquest).  Which one is my very most absolute favourite?  I'm going to say The Lord of the Rings.  

Even though my memories of reading it are somewhat vague.  I can't just up and quote the book perfectly at any given time, and I'm rather afraid my 12 yr old and disgustingly unbookish self didn't appreciate Tolkien's writing style or the depth of the characters as I should have.  But I could never forget how much I loved it, and how magnificent the story is, and all the heroes, and that delicious sort of archaicness and the layers and layers of detail,  and just everything and GAH.  
Yes, my dear gell, I am excessively fond of it.  

The Hobbit is also quite spectacular, but I don't love it quite so much as LOTR.  Even though it's funnier, and easier to read, it doesn't have the same scale and magnitude that is part of why I love LOTR so much.  But again, we needs a reread, preciousss.  

As for The Silmarillion, I think it's every bit as good as LOTR, but in a different way.  It's much more of a far and distant myth, whereas LOTR is a closer, more personal story that reaches deeper into your heart with friendlier and warmer hands, if you take my meaning.  But who knows, a few rereads and I may love it as much as LOTR yet.  It certainly has the "scale and magnitude", and then some. 


Day 2, being my favourite movie.  Well, I think LOTR is better than The Hobbit (so far, anyway).  I tend to group FOTR, TTT, and ROTK into one movie/book/story, so separating them and picking a favourite" is no easy task.  I love them all equally.  But if I was forced at gunpoint to pick one "favourite", I'd say ROTK.  Just because it's easier to be without the beginning than the ending.  Even though the ending bloody hurts.



Day 3, being favourite quote.  I'll just make you a list, 'kay?  These are in no particular order.

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something.” 

“Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.” 

“You have nice manners for a thief and a liar," said the dragon.” 

“You may not like my burglar, but please don't damage him.” 

“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” 

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” 

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” 


“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” 

“What do you fear, lady?" [Aragorn] asked. "A cage," [Éowyn] said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.” 

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 

"At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:


  Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
  Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
  spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
  a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
  Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.


   Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Örome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."


Day 4, being favourite scene.  How does even chose a favourite scene?  But if I must... During the Battle of Pellennor Fields, when Minas Tirith is overrun, you hear the horns of Rohan, and then you see the Rohirrim riding over the hill and the sun is shining golden on their helms and Théoden gives his speech (see above), and then the earthy violins of the Rohan theme and the battle-fury running like new fire through their veins and the fear in orc's eyes and I practically swell with emotion and it's just too, too magnificent and MY HEART I CAN'T TAKE IT IT IS ALL TOO MUCH FORTH EORLINGAS DEEEEAAAATH!!!!  

I mean, that scene is just perfect.



Day 5, being the best of the Fellowship.  This is tough.  Am I aloud to say Legolas and Gimli collectively? 

 Because they're friendship is the coolest and the best and ajkhsdjhfdkh.  

But otherwise, it might have to be Boromir.  Because of reasons and stuff.  Or Aragorn.  Because he's more awesome than Boromir.


Day 6, being the best of Thorin's Company.  Again, maybe Fili and Kili collectively. 

But on his own, perhaps Balin.  

Or Bofur.  

Day 7, being favourite weapon.  Well, the Rohirric horse-embellished blades have a special place in my heart.  Herugrim, Théoden's sword, 
Guthwine, Éomer's sword,

Éowyn's sword, which apparently doesn't have a name, are all three positively spectacular.  

The heavier design of Herugrim, the twisted design of Guthwine, and the lighter design of Éowyn's are hard to choose between.

Then of course you have Legolas's weapons.  The insanely beautiful Galdhrim bow,

and his ridiculously awesome fighting knives.


I could probably give up pie forever, or cake at least, if I could just decorate my walls with theses weapons.  For half of forever anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that scene is perfect. And Legolas' knives are cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Nessima! Thanks for joining us in the Challenge!! And don't worry about dates and times. Better late than never, eh?

    Wow. I loved this. And that's an understatement. There is so much I could write in response to your post, but it would mostly look like this: aadsfabdlfiowjgahwjefaioguqhakfjnlegodshlfbgjspAWILHKBFASFHLDFJS. And no, I did not randomly hit Caps Lock while madly typing across the keyboard. So, I'm going to stop now before people think I'm a nutcase. Which I might be, but we don't need to worry about that. This all is making me too insanely excited about DoS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *collapses from the overwhelming magnitude of awesome in this post*

    ReplyDelete