Image Map

January 03, 2013

some 2012 favourites


>>>---the favourite books-
-->


The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
~Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan (the whole series)
Ever since seeing LOTR when I was 11, the whole Ranger thing was an subject of fascination for me.  So you can possibly imagine my mad dash to the library after finding a whole book series about them.  And it was just brilliant.  Brilliant, I tell you, brilliant.  John Flanagan proves you don't need a really original idea to write a mega frabjous book     fresh and lovably characters, perfect pacing, wit, and homour will suffice.  Of course,  cool guys running around with weapons they actually know how to use helps too.
Seriously though, I loved this book.  Crazily loved it.


The Eagle of the Ninth (The Roman Britain Trilogy, #1)
~The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
This is just one of those that sits in you easily, like a really good meal, and stays with you for a long time after.  It's such a great story and Marcus and Esca are such wonderful characters.  Sutcliff's writing is so beautiful     rich and flowing, without being over-wordy.  The way her words go together is just lovely.






The Book Thief~The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Okay.  This book.  What to say about this book.  My goodness.  You start this book and you wonder "What is this strangeness....?".  You finish this book and you sit there holding it tight so that no one can take it away from you and you can just stay there in your state of emotional brokenness forever and ever with just that beautiful, beautiful book there with you.  
Yes.  That's the word to describe this book.  Beautiful.  Hideously beautiful.  So much pain.  So much love.  So much...humanness.  


The Hobbit

~The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Umm....enough said.









>>>---the favourite movies--->

The Hobbit 
Ahem.   










The Avengers
Awesome. Period.







The Amazing Spider-man 
Luuuuuurrrrved it. As much, I think, as The Avengers. It's not really a big secret I didn't like the old trilogy and have no absolutely patience for Tobey Maguire whatsoever, but Andrew Garfield's Peter is really quite brilliant. Actually smart (he made his web-shooting-thingymahoohahs himself), whereas the Tobey Maguire Spiderman was just dumb.  Sorry to his fans, but yeah. And Gwen (who also happens to legitly smart) is just so many thousand times preferable to MJ (who, cough, came across as dumb. Didn't see that one coming...).  But beyond the fact that the actors/characters were better than the old ones, this is just a really great movie.   

There were a lot of others I was going to list but suddenly I only remember these three.  Maybe because I saw these three in the theatre.  And seeing a movie blown up a bazillion times larger than you normally watch a movie really oughta help you remember them.

>>>---favourite tv series--->


Sherlock
Just...yeah.






Merlin
If you're looking at it with an over-scrutinizing eye, you'll notice a few things: it's not as well done as Doctor Who or Sherlock.  Not as well scripted.  Not as clever.  But you know what?  Whoopdy ding.  This show is brilliant, and I love it to pieces.  It's hilarious.  I lovelovelove all the characters (with the exception of Uther, who really needs his nose broken sometimes).  The costumes, the setting, THE PURDY HORSEYS, and the music are all gorgeous. This show just makes me so happy.  Except at the end.  Which I haven't even seen (except for gifs on tumblr) and it still kills me.


Robin Hood 
Just finished season one a couple days ago. 
Guys guys guys, I is all obsessed and crazy over zees show and I loves it and want eat it like a cupcake but that wouldn't work so I don't.  Despite the fact I sorta wrecked it for myself by watching certain youtube videos which I deeply regret.  Ack.


Downton Abbey
I love this show. The end.










>>>---the favourite music--->

~Of Monsters & Men
I just adore their style.  Their entire My Head is an Animal album is fantastic.  Gah.  So good.







~Florence + the Machine
She's just so cool. Aaannd...yeah.  






~The Civil Wars  Joy's voice + John Paul's voice + acoustic guitar = pure spine-tingling awesomeness.






~The Piano Guys
The piano/cello combination just works so well.  And they're so much fun.  




~The Band Perry
My favourite country band I think.  Love their songs.  And their music videos are gorgeous.
Plus, I think Kimberly's clothing and hair style is just fantastic.  Just sayin'.








>>>---some favourite moments--->

~That time Gwynn actually knew what "come" meant.  
~My trip to the mountains with Marmy and leel sister.  
~Figuring out how to use manual all on my onesies.  
~Going to see The Hobbit.  
~And a lot of other things which escape me right now.

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that this is a great idea for a post! The Hobbit was obviously the highlight of the year film-wise but oh my word as for TVshows I didn't even know that we watched the same ones until now. Sherlock is my favorite show ever and I just finished season one of Robin Hood as well. As for Merlin and Downtown Abbey, those are on my 2013 to-be-watched list. :)

    Anyway, awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those TV shows! They rock. :)

    Oooh! And 'Avengers' plus 'Spider-Man' = awesome!

    Thanks so much for following my blog, Nessima! I really appreciate it and hope you visit often. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just not going to comment about The Hobbit movie, because I still haven't seen it, and I might break into tears. Nonetheless, the Avengers- incredible. The Amazing Spider-man- amazing, ironically. ;)

    Just (as in yesterday) started watching the Sherlock TV series. Woooow. "Four serial suicides and a note. Oh, it's Christmas!" I... am not even going to go any further. Downton Abbey... let's just say Sunday isn't coming fast enough. Season 3!! :D

    Piano Guys and The Band Perry. *fist bumps computer screen*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fangirl is very strong with this post, Nessimas :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading The Lost Stories which is rather depressing me. For the last few years I've had new books with Will to look forward to, now I am on the last. I do like Hal, I've read the first of his, but I shall miss Will terribly.
    (My gloom may also be part of watching Valjean die last night and the over hanging of series five of Merlin...)

    ReplyDelete